Thursday, January 11, 2007

MY winter adventure....



The "MY" is capitalized because i'm copying sean, who also had a winter adventure, and happened to post about it first on his (really good, unlike mine) blog. Just so no one mal compris (misunderstood). With my explanation out of the way, I'll begin.

It started out like any normal day. I woke up a bit too late and quickly realized that I would need to rush in order to arrive at work somewhat on-time. As I ascended the stairs the typical melodies of the morning rather rudely greet my ears. Sam is running (stomping) across the hardwood and Kayla is screaming at a frightfully high pitch at something.... I couldn't tell if she was happy or sad at any rate. The only difference to note about this particular morning is that there is well over a foot of snow outside. My face fell as I realized that there was an even greater need to rush my routine, but I shook this troubling thought of and got to it. When I left home it was 8:10AM. When I reached 200th Street, the traffic was stopped dead. It took me an hour to get from my house to the highway, and for anyone who does not know the area, or does not live in the area, it should only be a five minute drive. Traffic in Langley was utter chaos, but once I was out in Aldergrove it slackened a bit, and the commute-stress-level returned to average levels.

ok-----now skip ahead to 2:30PM....

I have to leave work now in order to (hopefully) get to a class on-time. It has been snowing all day, and (in Abbotsford at least) it is pretty much a white-out. It takes just over an hour to get back to Langley (about double the normal time) and I reach the campus only to hear that all the evening classes have been cancelled. "Hmm....", I thought, "what to do now....."

I decided to go home. The only problem with that plan was that there wasn't a single road open in Langley by which you could get to my house. Cars were inching their way up, only to start sliding back down because of a lack of forward momentum. I tried a few times (unsuccessfully), and then parked and tried to think of what to do. I was all uptight. I'd been in the car too long. I'd been fighting the weather without any result. There was only one thing to do: Go to the mall.

The mall was basically the only place in Langley where the traffic wasn't too bad. Most people were feverously trying to get out of the city, so the mall turned into an unlikely fortress of solitude. (haha). I hung out for a bit and bought some jogging shoes.

Now I was ready for the final push, the climax of this epic tale of wintery weather woes. I got back into the car and proceeded to pound the steering wheel and shriek incoherently for five minutes to psych myself up. Then I drove one of the few roads that were open and leading up the hill. I pulled over to the side of the road and planned my move. I waited for all the cars to drive up and then slide back down in rejection, and then, when all was clear, I gunned it, picked up as much speed as I could, and burned up that hill without and issue. When I got to the top I pulled over again and shrieked and pounded on the steering wheel in my moment of triumph.

that's my winter adventure. pretty crazy....

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am so jealous i could kill you.

and i'm not joking.




lol, anyway sounds like something that would happen to Damaris.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel,
I never leave a comment on anything because im too scared, and because i dont want people to know i read these. i really only read three peoples. anyways, i am just telling you that so you can apreciate the bigness of how much i liked your story, that i would go through this very uncomfortable situation of me writing this in order to tell you. i like your godly ones too, but those just leave me thinking ... i never have anything to say. and if i do, im too scared like i said before. but this story made me many things. two of them were 1. im proud of him. 2. i miss them up there.

so yeah...have a great week.

~rebekah walker~

Delian said...

hahahaha... sounds like a nightmare... But, you got a fantastic post out of it... :-). I would have liked the going to the mall part... other than that... nothing really sounded too fun.

Anonymous said...

joe i enjoyed your story..it was quite fun haha..pounding on the steering wheel in your moment of triumph. brilliant
take the scooter out in the snow yet?

Anonymous said...

i helped push a ladies jeep out of a little dip by the stop sign just on my street. She was stuck pretty good. Those jeeps are so poser they cant do anything, especially off-roading in the snow .

~*Jessica Lauryn*~ said...

good story, bad day. i win! hahaha

karawarnock; said...

well written.
the traffic is terrible. people don't know how to drive in the snow.

the yellow bus. we swerved out of control yesterday. it was better than rad.

Anonymous said...

people just don't know how to drive down here in fl. i was talking to a scottish dude yesterday, and he said it's far worse here than in london. apparently they have these things called turn signals in london.

haha.

great post joe. i enjoyed it. laughed heartily. it does sound like something that would happen to me. especially the shrieking and pounding the steering wheel part. ;)

Aly Sczebel said...

okay. he totally understated the whole 'yelling in triumph thing. because he demonstrated later with me in the car. then he was like. 'hey. i guess that is why i have a headache now...? ' i have never heard joe scream so loud.

Anonymous said...

on my way back home from my goalie training we were at an intersection waiting for the light to turn green when one of those big trailer trucks turned left and ran into the cement barrier on the side of the road. he kept trying to get out but it took him forever. When the light turned green for us he was still in the way. then the light turned red. and we had to wait some more. some drivers are just sooo bad...

Anonymous said...

another comment bye als that just appeared before mine. so weird how she always posts at the same time...

Aly Sczebel said...

haha. sorry jeremy.

Anonymous said...

thats ok,it was just weird thats all haha.