Sunday, November 06, 2005

whether I like it or not. it is. and i can't do anything about that.

I thought since Dams was willing to throw some lyrics of hers on her blog, I'd make an attempt to do the same here. I heard a rumor that SGM wanted Christmas songs and I'd never written one, so I thought I'd chance it. Here it is.

The Love of God came down,
To make His home with men,
Upon a starry night,
He left his glorious throne,
And with His coming here,
The Hope of all these years,
Was born to us this night.

O awake my soul and sing,
What amazing love,
What amazing love,
Arise and shout His praise,
What amazing love,
What amazing love this is.

Look in this manger He,
Humbles Himself to lie,
The One who cast the stars,
Into the black of night,
And angels sweetly sing,
To Him, the ageless King,
As heaven stands in awe.

The only crown He’ll wear,
Is still to come ahead,
Upon the bloodstained cross,
He’ll suffer for my sins,
But now in peace He lies,
Born that He may soon die,
To ransom souls to God.

Tells me whats you think. I don't mind the lyrics. The melody is a bit lacking at the present time, but I wrote it in an hour (roughly) so I have time to fix it up. Hey. Maybe if I send it to SGM and they dig it, they'll let me come to the Songwriters Retreat in Orlando. Sweet. hahahahahaha. Most likely not. Oh well. wow. coughing fit. ok. I need sleep. not enough sleep all week.

outtuu. as in the hockey player jarko ruutu. but outuu instead.

9 comments:

Brittany said...

Wow, I like it a lot.

Anonymous said...

ok so you do konw about the songwriters conference here...i have been DYING to aks but couldn't 'cause it's by invitation only. sorry joe. ((i asked)) steve cook said hahaha. patrick sczebel would possibly be coming. ya'll can come and hang with the rest of us losers while he works...hahaha.

if he comes he has to let us know

overthinker said...

now about ur song...it's pretty good. maybe a little wordy...i hate saying that and i'm probably wrong but i don't know.

yeah they're doing a kids project--very specific and too long for me to tell you here--a psalms project, valley of vision projects, and a christmas project. that's what i know about. good thing about babysitting for a songwriter. they know about everything from the Cooks. but i dont know if they're excepting stuff. you should ask because we had several of our songwriters working satudray at metro with the cooks...big stuff happening down here. come live here...hahaha

Brittany said...

Every Saturday there is a lot of music stuff happening.

Anonymous said...

No, I agree dams. It is wordy. Not crazy, but definitely a little. The issue was that because the chorus doesn't say much ( it's more a response kinda deal) I had to try to pack more into the verses. and when you have ten things you want to say, and you want to pack them into a little verse, it gets sticky. But a lot of big SGM songs are actually quite wordy. That's kinda their style. So some like it, some don't. I'm have way. I like writing poetry, so i like wordyness. But when I write songs, I like to occasionally just keep it simple. This was not that case. the chorus was more simple, and the verses were a bit wordy. and I did know about all those new projects coming up. I'm having a dickens of a time trying to write one out of the V of V. Dang. And I can't move to Florida. I love Canada far too much. Coldness, pointy mountains, freezing water, snow, rain, frosty mornings. Yeah. Sorry. hahahaha. Fl sounds like a nice visiting spot though.

Anonymous said...

I meant half way. Hahaha. hoser that I am. Who will give me better typing skill.

Brittany said...

Yes, FL is a good visiting spot! *hint, hint*

Anonymous said...

Oh. FL sounds nice right now. It's Flippin Georgia cold here now.

Anonymous said...

You amaze me! If I can ever learn to write like you can, I will be perfectly happy.