Sunday, October 16, 2005

I know that everythings not lost

I was just thinking (and this is going to be at least a slightly serious post) that what is the gain of living if we aren't going to live for the glory of God? I'm not saying that if you're not completely living for His glory you should go suicidal, but I'm just saying that there is no gain in it. None. I was just thinking that I could sit here for an hour playing guitar, and that isn't bad, but what is it's use? In the end it's an hour of this life (the only life I'm going to get until eternity) wasted doing something that will have little benefit for this life, no benefit for my eternal life, and no benefit to the majesty of God's name in heaven or on earth. Or I could go to my job every day and just go mindlessly about for 8 hours, absolutely squandering time that He has given me to bring Him glory. And the excuse that " I am working so I can't really bring him glory, I mean maybe I could do my job well which might eventually honor him, but beyond that I'm kinda stuck here for eight hours, maybe I'll live for Him when I get home" doesn't work. In fact that excuse isn't even close to working, but i have often (whether I actually thought it or just did it) used it. All the people I work with-I don't even know if they're saved, I would guess that 99% of them aren't considering how they talk, and the saddest part is I'm comfortable with it. they could well be headed for Hell, and I hang around them everyday and don't bother to tell them the way out. But if I did tell them, what would that accomplish? it would bring the One who is supremely worthy of all glory the glory that He deserves. And this doesn't just apply to work: how many times do I think "I just got home, I'm ridicuously tired, I'm just going to sit around, go one the computer and rest"? SO MANY TIMES!!!! and it's not that it's wrong, but it should be done wit the mindset of how can I do this for Him? How can I write a post that may affect someone who in turn will seek to bring Him praise by their life? AHHHHHH. But the mindset is so hard to find when I'm stuck on myself, when all I can think about is how to please joe. C.S. Lewis once said (and I'm paraphrasing from memory here) : If you meet a truly humble person, you will not find them trying to look humble, or acting all lowly (for that would be someone trying to LOOK humble, which is pride), but all you would notice after talking to them was that they mostly talked about you." In other words, a humble person is not someone walks around trying to lower themselves, a humble person is someone who begins more and more to forget themselves and think about others. another guy who's name I can't remember said: If we only had a true knowledge of ourselves, we would be truly humble." Or if we could just get past our coats and coats of self-love and see the depth of our sin, and the price that was paid to pardon it, we would truly be humble. and how could we not be? Could I stand beside the cross where my Saviour died, and say "I didn't need it"? NO!!
never. The fact that He came down is in itself the greatest pointer to the fact that we really did need it. We could never have escaped any other way. We were dead meat. dang I kinda went off topic there. well what I was thinking is that I really need to cultivate humility, not just the groveling on the floor kind, but the kind where I forget myself. For if I forget myself, and remember the cross, i will be in a more aware state of mind to be living every moment for Him. If I forget MY awkwardness or fear, I will be in a much more willing state to share the gospel, because it will be all I can think of, and I will be so grateful that it cannot help but overflow.
A life lived 90% for oneself and 10% for God may sadly be the standard in many self professing Christian's lives, but the things that they do for themselves, and the sacrifices that they do to achieve them are worthless in the long run. Why build up a treasure horde of things of this Earth, which are but tastes (and faint ones) of the treasures of Heaven? Why live as if this life were all that there is? because there is more. So much more. But maybe there is a small group who would maybe not live 100% for His glory (for i don't believe that's possible this side of the grave), but their one goal, and their greatest delight is to honor His name on this earth. And maybe their crowning achievement in this life would not be the job they got, or the house they lived in, or how good of a guitar player they became, but maybe it would be that they lived for something more worth while, maybe it will be that they lived for something Eternal. I want to be in that group.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Wow, that was long. Very good too. Pretty convicting.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was good. You could (or should) write a good book about that. I am VERY impressed. I never thought you could write somethin' like that. No offence or anything.

Anonymous said...

gee jeremy. you should check his post more often. i'm convicted by his and josh's posts often. well like a couple times a week.

great one joe. so true. so now i will be praying that God gives you boldness and oppurtunities to share the gospel....