Wednesday, October 26, 2005

ugly weeds and pumpkin seeds.

:no comment on the title:
Only one very interesting thing happened to me today.....I almost got killed. By a power jack. Exciting. Yes. Very. In fact extremely. But scary too. Here's how it was.

I was driving along, and began to reverse so that I could get into a proper angle to pick up this pallet that I needed to bring somewhere else. well the moment I hit reverse something snapped. not literally. i think maybe the jack was a little offended at the reckless way I was driving it (not) so it decided to have a little fun of it's own. It suddenly jerked the control handle all the way sideways, throwing me off, but having a good grip and being a little determined not to lose to this 7000 pound hunk of metal I hung on and was dragged in circles for a while until I decided that it wasn't worth the effort, and God would really have to intervene before my 150 pounds could stop this thing. So I released my grip crumbled to the floor and rolled out of the way to avoid being crunched. After regaining my feet I watched as the jack went crazy for a few more turns then abruptly stopped, almost flipping itself in the process. Well to say I was stunned would not be an exaggeration. I stood there and stared at the thing in wonder (and fear) and looked around to see if anyone else saw the event. One guy did, because he was staring in wonder and awe as well. So having a credible witness I went to my Supervisor and told him. It was clear he didn't believe me but came to check it out. Now I was praying that it would do it again just so I wouldn't look like a complete idiot, so as we approached I gave the jack a good bit of space. The Supervisor walked confidently up and laid his hand on the control bar, gave a yell, did a jump, leapt out of the way, and the jack was off again, doing circles and flipping out. After a moment in stopped again. And this time (after some interesting language) he decided everyone should leave it alone. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA>

Wonderful. It's funny. If I hadn't got out of the way once I fell off, I could have gotten crushed, but all I thought at the time was: wow. this is really messed up. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. The brain panics much less when it has no time to sleep. That must be why scary scenes in movies are so drawn out. oh well. Maybe it'll happen again tomorrow, and maybe next time it catch my leg and break it clean in two, but it'll have to be a conspiracy, because though I'm not superstitious, I'll never ride on L12 again.

13 comments:

amazed said...

It's great how your laughing about how you almost got crushed.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very dangerous.

joel sczebel said...

not really. they're really easy...just not when they decide to freak out.

Anonymous said...

Well, then it becomes dangerous.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you could have been killed!!!

joel sczebel said...

I know, it's exciting isn't it?

Anonymous said...

After, you'd screamed.

joel sczebel said...

Both would have been very acceptable. I don't really know why I didn't. But I still won't tell you all the last time I cried. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
NEVER!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~ I scream quite frequently though.

joel sczebel said...

I need a new picture. I'll get around to it sometime.

MrsRoper said...

wow... did your entire life flash before your eyes?

Anonymous said...

Haha. It must have been recently if you won't tell us the last time you cried.

joel sczebel said...

no.

Anonymous said...

Probably when we left.